Thursday, February 26, 2009

Pennsylvania Arts -- Creative Opportunities for Young People


The remarkable thing about creative expression is its resilience. Before you've learned how to multiply and divide, you have the ability to tell a story. Long after your blurry vision has forced you into a pair of reading specs, you can write a poem. I was fortunate to grow up in a family that believed in early artistic training. My sister and I were taking piano lessons before we were tall enough to ride a roller coaster. Every summer we took arts and crafts classes that taught us how to create things in different media. It took a long time to finally figure out what kind of career I really wanted to pursue. But in my professional life, I've continued working to help promote creative educational opportunties for young people.

These efforts led to my involvement with the Mariana Bracetti Academy Charter School in Philadelphia. Years after helping to found this school, I am now seeing the tremendous fruits of that labor. Next week we are having a party to celebrate our students' accomplishments and introduce them to professionals from a wide variety of careers. The reception will be held in the Suzanne Roberts Theater on Philadelphia's Avenue of the Arts on Monday, March 2 from 6-8 PM. Youth musicians from MBA will be performing that night. They call themselves the Barking Bulldogs. I can't wait to hear them. Tickets are $25 and proceeds go towards helping the school provide college scholarships, technology and educational programs for students in 6th through 12th grades. Come out and help us celebrate!

No comments: