Monday, April 20, 2009

Creative Thaw -- Making Time for Art


The ice has finally melted off the lake and it's been over a month since I gave myself the time to sit and write a post here. This is no way to run a creative life, but with all the uncertainty in the economy, I was eager to take on more work projects from my clients. The March/April tidal wave of left-brain activity stole some of my creative energy. A freelance writer or artist needs to take advantage of work opportunities when they arise because you really don't know what will happen next month. Nurturing your creative life -- while you work additional hours -- is never easy.

One good rule is to take at least one hour per work -- in between other labors -- to immerse yourself in some kind of creative experience. Yesterday I managed to spend some time meeting writers at Pottsville's Block of Art celebration. Just listening to a few great poems helped to revive me. Before the last lines were read aloud, I was swooning under the influence of good metaphors. Here is a weblink for Lester Hirsh, one of the poets whose work helped rotate my tires.

No comments: