Monday, March 16, 2009

Carbon County and the Original "Green" Energy


When I end up in the grip of unhappiness, I try to right my ship by reminding myself how lucky I am to live in a place as beautiful as Carbon County. The other day I was struggling with some very sad memories that would not release their hold on me. Finally I took myself out for a walk along the roads that border the Mud Run Creek. Pacing those trails, my mind began to quiet down until I could feel, once again, what a gift it is to live here.

Lately geese have been returning, reminding me that all wintry emotions eventually give way to new journeys and brighter days. A couple of mallards have taken up residence on Henning Pond. They patrol the border of the water, searching for food and a place to raise the baby ducks that will arrive once spring wins its duel with winter. Birds of all kinds have come back to the pines, bringing old squabbles and new songs with them.

Down the hill in Jim Thorpe, the whole town has given itself over to the wearing of the green. Sure it was St. Patrick's Day, but all that green isn't just about shamrocks. It make you think of growth and new beginnings. Yesterday, the streets were filled with bagpipers and people decked out for fun. My mood was lifted by the bright skies and marching bands. Happy friends and some excellent folding chairs made for a special afternoon. It was a great opportunity to take in the Irish energy that lies at the heart of Jim Thorpe. Overall, it was the kind of day that makes you feel lucky to be alive.

No comments: