Monday, September 5, 2011

September Transformations

Every kid in the world knows that things change in September. Even if you finished your last day of school thirty years ago, you can still feel the world's heart skip a beat when students on campuses everywhere open great books for the first time. What story has most transformed your view of things? Was it a fiction classic like "The Great Gatsby", a memoir like "Angela's Ashes", or the work of a cunning philosopher like Machiavelli or Adam Smith? 

This time of year makes me long for the excitement of new learning. Hannah, the five year old at the end of our lane, just started kindergarten. For weeks she was vibrating with anticipation of that first day of school. I remember feeling that way each fall -- 'til I finally finished my formal education. Last year I found a way to bring some September delight back into my life and next week I'm trying it again. On September 10, I'm returning to the Toronto International Film Festival to see and write about new works that filmmakers have created for audiences around the globe.

Last year's festival was a fantastic experience. Conversations with people in and outside the film industry had a big impact on my writing last year. It's probably dangerous to think that this year's festival will be just as wonderful, but I've been going over the list of TIFF premieres and it looks awfully good. Some films have such an original approach to storytelling, they force you to see your own work from new angles.

Here are a few films I'm planning to see:

The Oranges -- It's not about navels and mandarins. It focuses on a family in that special part of New Jersey you've probably never seen. The acting ensemble includes Catherine Keener, Allison Janney, and Hugh Laurie. If this doesn't make me laugh, it can't be done.

Snowtown -- No skiing or igloos involved. The film is set in South Australia and follows a young man who finds a father figure in a charismatic drifter -- who happens to be a serial killer. Chills without the aid of ice cubes.

Cafe de Flore -- This film is a mood piece with visual elements that intertwine stories from different time periods. In French, lots of music, might be strange but I love seeing how good directors connect the dots of complex plots.

Rampart -- The story follows an LAPD officer played by Woody Harrelson. Other cast members include Steve Buscemi, Robin Wright, and Sigourney Weaver. Acting ought to be first rate.

Butter -- A girl in a small mid-western town finds herself competing for a butter sculpting prize. Her art makes her the target of another ambitious food sculptor. Ever considered a plot line that revolves around butter art? I thought not.

Let me know if there's a movie you'd like to hear about. I'll be posting film details here for the next two weeks as I strive to make this September another month of creative change.

No comments: